Top Wood Window Styles
October 10, 2010
Wood windows are favorites of many homeowners due to their traditional appearance and the many styles, sizes, and accessories available to choose from for their home. Another reason you may want to consider wood windows is many styles offer an option of aluminum or vinyl cladding in a choice of colors for low maintenance exteriors and you still have the ability to paint or stain the interior of the windows to match your home's decor.
Top Wood Windows Styles
Wood windows are available for any age or architectural design of home and some of the top wood windows styles you might consider are:
- Double-hung. These wood windows have two operable sashes that slide up and down and can be very attractive with traditional wood grills.
- Single-hung. Single-hung windows are very similar in appearance to double-hung windows, but the top sash is fixed in position which makes this style a little more budget friendly.
- Awning. This style of wood windows can be perfect for short wide openings. Awning windows are hinged on the top and swing out, which allows them to be open in all but the hardest rains.
- Casement. If you have any openings that are tall and narrow, casements might be an ideal choice. These wood windows are hinged on the side and swing out allowing unobstructed views.
- Gliders. If you're searching for wood windows that offer great views and easy operation, gliders may be the answer. Gliding windows operate just like a sliding glass door and are like picture windows that open.
- Picture windows. Views and natural light in hard to reach places are picture windows' forte; these wood windows are fixed panels and do not operate.
These top wood windows styles span a wide price range and most styles offer many options that can add to the windows' appearance or energy efficiency.