Are you all about clean lines? Do you prefer the ornate? Or, does function always trump fashion? Whatever your personal style, you can find a window to fit your personality--and the personality of your home. Before you start shopping, it's important to understand the different types of windows available to ensure the window you want is also the window you need.
Single-Pane vs. Double-Pane Windows
When shopping for windows, consider the pros and cons of single-pane versus double-pane windows. That way, you can stay on budget when choosing your window material:
- Single-pane windows are more affordable to install and replace and allow more light to enter your home. Single-pane windows are less insulating, however, so will impact your energy costs.
- Double-pane windows are more expensive than their single-pane counterparts, but are better insulators, keep out more noise, and can cut energy costs.
Choosing the Right Window Material
When it comes to window materials, consider your needs, your climate, and your budget:
- Aluminum is Strong, sturdy, and maintenance-free, but not a good insulator.
- Vinyl is an affordable option and a quality insulator, but colors are limited.
- Wood is an attractive choice, but prone to rot and will likely need repainting.
- Fiberglass is a relatively new window material choice that is very strong, but colors are limited.
- Steel is durable and provides the look of clean lines.
- Cladding combines the look of wood in the interior of your home with the maintenance-free qualities of metal on the exterior.
- Plastic is an affordable choice that requires little to no maintenance.
Do Your Research
Finding the right window means combining style and function without blowing your budget. Study the different types of windows before you make this very personal purchase.
July 29, 2015
Looking to replace your cheap basement windows? Here are options for more attractive windows that function better than the aluminum one you currently have.... More >>
January 20, 2015
Energy Star requirements for windows and doors changed on Jan. 1st, 2015. Here's what's new and what you can expect from the products meeting the updated requirements.... More >>
September 30, 2014
Ready to upgrade the look of your home? You can give it a whole new feel just by replacing your windows. Find out how different styles can change your house's appearance.... More >>
- 6 reasons not to install a garden window
- Do you need a replacement window or a new construction window?
- Which replacement window saves you the most money?
- Slash your electric bills with replacement vinyl windows
- Premium versus Budget Replacement Windows: Quality Rating Labels To Look For
- Window shopping 101: pros and cons of 3 frame materials
- Different window types for energy savings
- Replacement windows: An overview on materials, glass and energy efficient options
- The pros, cons and energy-savings of triple-pane windows
- Eeny, meeny, moe, which window frames save dough?
- 4 types of windows that will fit your budget
- 4 top window options for light quality
- Vinyl vs. aluminum windows: 3 reasons both offer value
- What you need to know about window frames
- Hidden disadvantages of perfectly affordable windows
- Craftsman Replacement House Windows: Four Ways to Achieve Craftsman Style
- Selecting Replacement Windows for your Home
- Find the Best Fiberglass Windows and Help Save the Planet
- The Right Window Frame for Your Replacement Windows
- Window Pane Replacement: Eight Reasons to Consider New Window Panes
- Vinyl Window Reviews and Ratings Can Save You Money
- Top Qualities of Fiberglass Replacement Windows
- Four Options for Replacing Aluminum Windows
- Today's PVC Windows - Learn about PVC Windows
- Double-Pane Window Prices: Three Factors to Consider
- Aluminum Clad Windows: Pros and Cons
- What Are the Best Vinyl Replacement Windows for Your Home?
- Aluminum vs. Vinyl Windows: Which is Better?
- New Vinyl Windows for Your Home
- Five Advantages to the Aluminum Replacement Window
- Vinyl vs Aluminum Windows: Which Is Better for Your Home?
- Vinyl vs. Wood Windows: Weighing the Pros and Cons
- 14 Critical Considerations When Replacing Aluminum Windows
- Benefits of Fiberglass Windows
- Seven Window Types and Their Typical Uses