Window Accessories for Hopper Windows
October 11, 2010
Hopper windows are a great fit for smaller spaces that require ventilation. The windows open by swinging in from the top, which not only maximizes airflow, but also makes these transom-style windows a breeze to clean. Window accessories for hopper windows can customize these simple windows to enhance your home's look, and they can also increase the safety and functionality of the window.
Cosmetic Enhancements for Hopper Windows
- Casements. Hopper window casements can be either wood or vinyl. Both of these options comes in a wide variety of colors to suit any décor.
- Hinges. While hidden when closed, the hinges on hopper windows come in such finishes as brass, nickel, gold, and more.
- Lever handles. Hopper windows open easily: with just the flick of a handle you can purchase in many styles and finishes.
- Crank handles. Another option is a crank-style handle, such as the type used on casement windows. Some crank handles can be folded away for a smoother look.
- Extension jambs. These can be custom made to make any size hopper window fit seamlessly into the existing wall.
- Window film or tinting. Hopper windows can prove difficult when searching for window treatments, but the nature of the window offers a lot of visibility into the house. Consider using window films or treatments for privacy.
Security Enhancements for Hopper Windows
While all windows require a look at security, hopper windows are unique because they are often used in basements or at ground level.
- Sash locks. These are installed at the opening of the window, and when pulled tightly, they seal the sash to the frame.
- Window locks. Attached to the frame and window, these key-operated locks offer another level of safety.
Window accessories for hopper windows can make this retro-style window a unique, functional option for your smaller spaces, and to enhance larger, architectural windows.