Top Double-Hung Window Brands
October 11, 2010
Top double-hung windows promise energy-savings, offsetting costs, and ecology. Newer designs provide access to both sides for cleaning and maintenance. Smart shopping calls for consulting experienced homeowners, contractors, and Internet-based recommendations. The following double-hung windows brands have good track records:
- Encompass® includes vinyl frames and thermostar® energy-saving glazing.
- Impervia® employs a fiberglass composite frame for extra strength plus high-performance glass options.
- Proline® has wood framing and high-performance glass options
- Designer Series® combines high-performance glass with between-the-glass blinds and shades plus triple-pane glass for enhanced insulation.
- Architect Series® is top-of-the-line with high-performance glass, quality wood, and special cladding.
Prices available with estimates but range from the high $100s to more than $1,000
- 200/400 Series features tilt-wash, special ecological glass options, grilles, and made-to-order shapes. Prices vary from the high $200s to $700.
- Architectural Monumental series comes in very large sizes (5'-9') with special glass, insect screens, and a generous variety of colors.
- A-Series is top-of-the-line featuring special ecological, energy-saving glass, multiple colors, and trim.
Dealer price quotes are advised.
- The Ultimate series provides special wood framing coupled with Low-E and energy-saving-argon-filled multiple panes plus round-top designs. Prices range $400-$600 depending on size.
- The Ultimate Double-Hung Magnum comes in larger sizes, offers special storm resistant design. Check dealer for quotes.
While the above represents the top double-hung windows brands, experts recommend checking local dealers plus up-and-comers in window manufacture. Low price doesn't necessarily mean low quality. Get at least five estimates and play hardball by holding out for rock-bottom prices.