Window Accessories for Awning Windows
October 11, 2010
Awning windows are hinged at the top and can be propped open like an awning. This unique design lets air in, but keeps the rain out. While all of these windows function this way by definition, window accessories for awning windows ensure a great deal of personalization and versatility.
Performance-Enhancing Window Accessories for Awning Windows
Though following window accessories primarily boost awning window functionality.
- Crank Handle: This is a rotating crank that opens the window.
- Folding Handle: This is a crank handle that folds over on itself for a sleek design.
- Motorized Operator: Ideal for high, hard-to-reach windows, this system opens your awning window with the touch of a button.
- Metal T-Handle: This small rotating operator can help to improve child safety.
- Sash Locks: Try sash locks to help improve security and weather-tightness.
- Window Hooks: A basic hook to secure your window; less secure than sash locks, this is a basic hook used to latch windows.
Insect, Debris Reduction
- Screens: Mesh screens are available in a variety of sizes and colors.
Aesthetic Window Accessories for Awning Windows
While the following accessories can affect function, they are often chosen for visual interest.
Glass Treatment Options
- Specialty Glass: Glass is treated with a glaze to create an interesting effect, like fog or rain.
- Tinted Glass: Glass is glazed for color and light diffusion.
- Art Glass: Decorative panes add character, uniqueness. Think stained glass.
A grille determines the grid pattern on your awning window, dividing the light however you choose.
- Exterior Grilles: These grilles are placed on the exterior of your window glass.
- Interior Grilles: Grilles placed between two panes of glass to limit maintenance.
- Extension Jambs: Available in a variety of styles and thicknesses, these jambs extend the window casing for architectural interest.