Making Your Vinyl Replacement Windows Summertime Savvy
July 08, 2009
You love your vinyl replacement windows. They have saved you money, time, and worry since you had them installed. Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your vinyl windows during the summer.
Take Care of Your Vinyl Replacement Windows as They Take Care of You
- Wash the windows and frames to let in the sun and reveal any hidden damage that might need attention.
- Repair any tears to your vinyl replacement window screens to prevent giving access to unwanted pests.
- Gently vacuum and wash your screens before putting them in.
- Vacuum and wash the screen gutters and fittings to ensure a proper fit and seal.
- Check the window closures for proper functioning and replace any parts that need it.
Help Your Vinyl Replacement Windows Save You Money
- By opening your windows at night and closing them before the temperatures begin to rise, you can save several hours on air conditioner usage per day.
- Some people stay away from installing blinds on their vinyl replacement windows for fear of damaging the casing but many styles of blinds accommodate vinyl.
- Consider awnings for windows that receive direct sun for large portions of the day.
- Draperies can add a lot of ambiance to any room and insulated drapes will help to save on cooling costs.
The Little Extras Your Vinyl Replacement Windows Do for You
- Healthy exposure to the sun's rays can diminish depression.
- Proper lighting for house plants will help them to thrive and houseplants ease fatigue and stress.
- Many new homes are so airtight it can actually be detrimental to your health, but screened windows allow an abundance of fresh air.
Most importantly, enjoy the refreshment and light your vinyl replacement windows bring to your summer.
About the author
Craig Friesen is a freelance writer and self-employed entrepreneur living in Abbotsford, British Columbia.