Getting Window Estimates to Find the Best Deals
July 26, 2010
Replacing windows is a major investment in your home's value, comfort, and security. Shopping online is a great way to research window prices and installation options. Window dealers typically have Web sites showing window styles with detailed descriptions of materials, glazing options,and information about pricing and window ratings. Your actual cost for window replacement can vary according to the windows you select, condition of your home, and time required for completing the job.
Window Estimates Should Be Transparent
Here are things to keep in mind when requesting window estimates:
- Don't select a window contractor based on price alone: Ask window contractors for written window estimates. An accurate estimate requires measuring and inspecting your existing windows. Get estimates from several window dealers and contractors. Compare services, pricing, completion dates, warranties and any guarantees provided.
- Verify credentials and references for window contractors: Verify that potential window contractors are licensed and factory-authorized to install your new windows. Ask for--and verify--references,
- Confirm product and installation pricing: Verify pricing, as window prices and installation prices may be quoted separately. Read sales and installation estimates and contracts carefully, and ask questions if you're not sure what's included in quoted prices.
- Get everything in writing: It's important to keep receipts for windows and an itemized service contract for installation. If any terms or provisions of your service agreement change, ask for a new copy of your agreement reflecting applicable changes.
- Discuss scheduling ahead of time: You'll need to have an adult at home when your new windows are being installed. Schedule installation dates far enough ahead for arranging time off from work, if needed. You may also wish to make arrangements for boarding your pets during your window replacement project.
- Ask questions: Professional window contractors expect questions and want to ensure your satisfaction. If you have concerns, talk with your contractor immediately.
- Check out rebates: Window dealers may provide information on local energy efficiency programs offering rebates for window replacement. Contact your energy company to learn more.
Researching and planning your window replacement project will help ensure your satisfaction with your new windows and their installation.