Six Tips to Find the Right Vendor for Your Window Replacement Project
April 08, 2010
Contacting and visiting window sales professionals may be your first step toward success for buying and installing replacement windows. How do you find the right window sales venue or window contractor?
Window Sales Companies: Selection Tips
- Ask for recommendations. Get referrals from friends, family, and neighbors who've recently replaced their windows--this may provide initial information about quality of service and product pricing.
- Verify licensing, bonding, and insurance. This applies to window sales and installation, and may save headaches later.
- Ask about Better Business Bureau membership. This typically indicates a professional and reliable vendor, but doesn't guarantee results.
- Ask for and check references. Talking with former customers may help you find window sales consultants, installers, or window contractors that provide quality products and services and stand behind their work.
- Work with factory-authorized window glass dealers and installers. Some window manufacturer product warranties require their windows to be sold and installed by factory-trained or other authorized personnel. If you have chosen your new windows, make sure your window dealer and installers are factory authorized by the manufacturer.
- Get it in writing. When shopping for replacement windows, get all product and installation estimates in writing. This may help you compare products, services, and costs. Write down questions or issues so that you won't forget to ask later.
- Make lists. When visiting showrooms and dealing with window sales staff, it's a good idea to have a list of products and your price range handy. This may help you save time and avoid sales pitches for products not suited to your needs.
Replacing windows takes time and allows strangers access to your home. Your comfort level with window sales people and window installers is important; follow the seven steps to help prevent mistakes.