Tips for Interviewing Window Dealers and Getting Estimates
March 16, 2010
Installing windows is a major project requiring planning and careful selection of window dealers and contractors. These tips can help you find windows and installers meeting your needs.
- Shop and research products and dealers online: Before visiting window dealers, shop online for product selection and research product and installation costs and options. Doing research before shopping window dealers (either online or in-store) can help with identifying product and installation options that work within your needs and budget.
Window Dealers: Making the Right Choice
- Visit several dealers online and in person: Make a list of your needs and expectations for your new windows, and set a budget. This can help keep your shopping and buying on track and may help avoid cost overruns.
- Does your window dealer provide installation? It's important to verify this up front so you can find a window contractor if needed, and factor additional costs into your budget
- Ask questions: Your window dealer should freely address questions to your satisfaction. Persist in getting the information you need; if it isn't forthcoming, find another window dealer.
Getting Window Estimates
- Get itemized, written estimates: When reviewing estimates for windows and installation, make sure that you clearly understand all charges. Read the fine print, and ask for clarification. Window installation estimates should include a deadline for completing the job
- Verify licensing: Window installers should be licensed contractors. Verify licenses, insurances and bonding to ensure that everyone is covered in case of accident or damage occurring on the job.
- Don't shop window estimates by price alone: Comparing several estimates involves reviewing what you get for the price quoted. Going cheap is not always the best way to save.
Finding the right windows and and a qualified installer can help insure satisfaction with your new windows.