It's windows replacement time and you want to make sure you get exactly what you need for the best price possible, right? It's time to do some homework--and you can do most of your preliminary research online. Ask yourself the following questions to determine what you need:
- What is your climate?
- What kind of ventilation do you need?
- Do your windows need to open up or tilt out?
- What kind of security is appropriate?
- What is your price range?
- Do you require custom windows?
- Can you install the windows yourself?
Once you have your replacement window criteria, you're ready to proceed with cost comparisons.
Window Cost Factors
Factors that can influence window costs include manufacturer, glass and frame type, energy-saving features, hardware, and window size and dimension.
As a rule of thumb--most replacement window projects include approximately 10 windows and run between $10K and $15K. Per window cost generally runs $300 to $700, including roughly $200 per window for installation. But be aware that per window cost can run as high as $2,500 or more. Other factors that can increase the price of a replacement window project include unique window dimensions that require custom shapes or extensive demolition or prep work before the windows can be installed.
Choosing Window Frames and Glass
You have a number of frame and glass choices for replacement windows; each choice has pros and cons depending on your needs.
Frames choices include:
- Cellular PVC
Glass choices include:
- Heat absorbing
You can easily find online sites that compare frame and glass types based on maintenance, security, cost, energy-savings, and other criteria. Check consumer ratings, online forums, and recommendations from family and friends. Keep in mind that installing replacement windows yourself can invalidate the manufacturer warranty so consider hiring a professional installation contractor. While you're online, look for replacement windows promotions such as $100 off the price of each window, for example, or a percentage off the total project cost.
Remember, the more information you have, the better choices you can make for your windows replacement project.
November 18, 2015
Replacement window promotions are almost always available somewhere. But which ones are actually saving you money? Here's how you can find out.... More >>
August 08, 2013
So you think you can save money on your window replacements by paying less than $200 per window? Maybe you can, but you should learn how to tell the difference between a bargain and a full-service installation.... More >>
May 17, 2012
Summer heat and humidity are on the way -- and already here, for some locales. Take these seven steps to protect your home and cut cooling bills.... More >>
- How to budget for energy efficient replacement windows
- Striking a balance: window replacement cost can offset rising energy bills
- 4 hidden problems raise window installation costs
- Selecting windows and doors: prices and climate strategies
- Home improvement in a new economy: windows and doors
- Paying for replacement windows and doors
- Cost control: How to avoid high window markups
- 3 money-saving tips for window and door replacement
- 'Tis the season for savings on siding and windows
- 3 top brands to fit any window replacement budget
- How to navigate 3 tiers of window replacement cost
- How to reduce window installation cost and energy bills
- Know your orientation; lower your window replacement cost
- Replacement Window Features that Offer Energy Savings
- Save your cash by claiming tax credits for new windows and doors
- Window replacement brands that provide UV protection
- Window replacement cost, determining a contractor's value
- Window replacement cost: 3 brands offer affordable UV protection
- Replacement window distribution -- from manufacturer to you
- The most bang for replacement window bucks
- The 3 most critical replacement window decisions
- 6 unexpected replacement window costs
- Avoid the hidden costs for replacement windows
- Brands that fit your window replacement budget
- How much do name brand replacement windows cost?
- What are new windows and doors worth to you?
- Six Things to Know Before Buying Replacement Windows
- Skip the sales hype, compare these 4 window features
- Sluggish economy reduces window installation costs
- Contractor Markup and the Cost of Window Installation: What You Should Know
- 3 ways contractors reduce window replacement costs
- Replacement windows cost and light: Low-e glass vs. film
- Shedding light on replacement window costs
- 3 secrets to budgeting replacement windows costs
- 10 steps to financing window replacement cost
- 3 ways to get the energy tax credit - now!
- How to shop for discount windows
- Window shopping: 5 frame materials for your home
- Window replacement costs: what's your style?
- 5 replacement windows that save time, money
- The secret to avoiding markups for replacement windows
- Balancing function with replacement windows cost
- Window replacement costs still justify ROI
- 3 tips for saving on replacement windows
- 5 tips for minimizing window replacement cost
- Get paid to save money with energy-efficient windows
- How do tax credits apply to replacement windows cost?
- Secrets to saving with ENERGY STAR-rated windows
- What you need to know about window replacement cost
- Estimating Window Replacement Costs
- Window Sales: Getting the Most from Replacement Windows
- Finding Windows Contractors for your Replacement Windows Project
- Comparing vinyl replacement windows before you buy
- Andersen window prices and costs
- Tips for Finding a Discount Window Replacement
- Wooden Replacement Windows - Prices and Costs
- Window Sales: Finding Replacement Windows
- New Windows: What to Consider Before Buying
- Window Replacement: Understanding the Benefits
- Window Replacement: Considering More Than Cost
- Window Estimates: Three Tips for Success
- Five Tips for Finding a Window Replacement Contractor
- A Breakdown of What a Window Really Costs
- Costly Windows are the Ones You Don't Replace
- How Much is that Window and When Should I Buy?
- Shopping and Comparing: Your First Step for Replacement Windows
- Window Replacement Prices: The Big Picture
- Windows Contractors: Tips for Evaluating Window Estimates
- Finding and Comparing Reputable Window Contractors
- Eight Tips for Saving Money on Replacement Windows
- Window Sales: Tips for Getting Estimates