Window Shopping with Tom Shafer
Meet Tom Shafer, Window Industry Expert
Tom Shafer has an extensive background in building materials, primarily in the window segment of the industry, in positions ranging from territorial salesperson, regional sales manager, product manager, and marketing manager. He's been employed by both manufacturers and distributors.
His window experience spans both residential new construction and replacement windows and includes positions with United Windows and Doors and Norandex, MI Windows. His last assignments involved development of a line of hurricane windows and training salespeople to sell replacement windows for Silver Line.
He has been involved in explaining windows regulations by working closely with design engineers in testing, design, and building code interpretation. He is currently employed at a home improvement retailer.
December 01, 2016
What's new in patio doors? Vinyl and fiberglass patio doors evolved from wood, aluminum and steel sliding doors. Find out about the latest trends in patio doors.... More >>
November 21, 2016
The patio doors you envision for your home today may be vastly different from their origins as clunky wood sliders. Tom Shafer discusses various types of patio doors and how they evolved.... More >>
August 31, 2016
Do you want your window screen to provide great visibility, or keep your room shaded? What should it be made out of? Do you want it to retract? Learn how to answer all these questions and more.... More >>
January 20, 2015
Energy Star requirements for windows and doors changed on Jan. 1st, 2015. Here's what's new and what you can expect from the products meeting the updated requirements.... More >>
- More Articles By Tom Shafer
- Why do my windows get condensation?
- Choosing a new garage door
- What is that NFRC label on my new window?
- Finding the right contractor for you
- Window glass replacement: how to deal with glass failure
- Common garage door problems and how to fix them
- When is a window really a window?
- Storm doors that offer protection and style
- How to change the look of your home with windows
- What to expect from your window installer
- Low-e glass: the breakdown
- Interior doors: how to make a big design impact
- 8 things you can learn from a window manufacturer's site
- 3 trim options for vinyl windows