3 leading replacement door brands and styles
January 18, 2012
A wide range of materials, design and finish options, as well as energy-efficient features: These and more make up the modern, door replacement market. How much you pay depends on where you start and how many features you choose. For some ideas check out these three, leading manufacturers, and several popular door styles.
3 major manufacturers
- Pella Corporation: Manufactures its entryway doors in Fairfield, Ohio and Wylie, Texas. The company makes a full line of replacement doors, from fiberglass and steel, to high-end custom wood doors.
- Marvin Windows and Doors: Another top brand, The Marvin Companies manufacture many of its doors at a 570,000 square-foot facility in Ripley, Tenn. Marvin has a nationwide distribution that includes more than 4,500 retailers.
- JELD-WEN: In the door business since 1960, the company has more than 20,000 employees worldwide and distributes to more than 20 countries.
A complete list of door manufacturers, which can be sorted by material and options, can be found at the Window and Door Manufacturer's Association website.
3 doors in different price ranges
The cost for replacement doors can vary greatly, depending on the material used in construction; features, such as glass and raised panels; and hardware like handles, locks and hinges. Here's a look at the three most prevalent types of doors and a rough idea of their cost.
- Steel doors: Many semi-custom and tract homes are built with steel entryway doors due to their relatively low cost. However, if you are replacing a door in high traffic areas of the home, fiberglass may be a better option, according to the JELD-WEN team. Steel doors tend to dent or scratch. They also don't perform as well in salt air, so you may want to steer clear in coastal areas. Cost: Inexpensive
- Fiberglass doors: These can be manufactured to mimic almost any type of wood door. Besides cost, the main benefit of fiberglass in lieu of wood is that it won't shrink or swell with the seasons. Fiberglass doors rarely require maintenance. Cost: Mid-range
- Custom wood doors: Nothing says quality and elegance, like hand-craftsmanship. That's why wood doors are most often found on high-end, custom homes. Depending on materials and features, these can cost as much as several thousand dollars. They require regular refinishing to prevent damage. Cost: Expensive
Door replacement costs can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars. Narrow down options and construction materials to find the right door for your project.